It's not easy being green...
Now that Jamie is a little bigger (ie. well over 13 lbs!), we've decided meet our home's waste-reduction initiatives by switching to reusable nappies. Josh says that they're awful: wet, hot, bulky and worst of all is that they need washing. Heather on the other hand says, "they're not that bad- and they're cute!". Does anyone else use them? Thoughts?

8 Comments:
I did think about using reusable diapers, but there is no diaper service in Montreal, and since we only have a small washing machine that hooks up to and drains into the sink, with only a trickle of hot water in the building, we decided against it.
Cara
The people I know who have used them, love them! But there was no way I was going to use them. Like Cara, there was no diaper service here in Kingston - and that was the only way I would have done it. There are so many reasons why I didn't want to use reusable diapers, that I wont get into it now... But, what a pain in the butt!
Meg
They look very modern. Didn't they used to be a big square of terrytowel which required origami before inserting the baby?
~Rich
We're definitely going the way of the cloth diaper! Or maybe I should say, we're definitely planning on going the way of the cloth diaper. I've read and heard so many good things about them (ease of use, environmental benefits, health benefits, etc.), particularly the brands called "Mother-ease" and "Fuzzibunz." Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
By the way, I did read a report once that said cloth diapers weren't a good idea, especially at night, when the diaper stays on long after it is wet, especially for boys. Something about the increased warmth, and future fertility problems. I don't know how valid the report was. Just thought it'd mention it.
Cara
Go nuts, fertile Al. Enjoy the photo and any others.
Theoretically, we will be using them too, but after your experience, I think it all looks a bit too much like hard work. Mind you, everything looks a bit too much like hard work to me! 20 weeks to go...
They are hard work Mark. We use the reusables during the day and overnight we use disposables (they absorb so much better). It seems to be the best all-round solution... We're so excited for you guys!!! Glad we'll still be neighbors to watch the little critter grow.
Post a Comment
<< Home