Monday, September 24, 2007

Blessed

Josh's sister Caitlin (right) and her partner (Sharon) were married this past weekend. We drove to Kingston and enjoyed a Saturday afternoon witnessing this unique commitment. Caitlin and Sharon were beautiful, the ceremony was thoughtful and emotional, and the reception in the woods (at their 'off-grid' home) was warm and relaxed. Caitlin and Sharon, as we affirmed at your wedding: we admire your courage, commitment, and willingness to adventure. May you enjoy a lifetime of adventures together... and long live your pugs!

5 Comments:

At 7:44 pm, Blogger gnat said...

wonderful, beauteous and everything - plus I want to hear more on this "off the grid" business...
trying to make my california campus sustainable here - seems to be an ordeal as a one-woman effort

 
At 9:28 pm, Blogger Josh and Heather said...

Thanks gnat - they built a small and well insulated house in the woods and use a fireplace for heat. Electricity is not patched through yet but they are saving to bring a line in. And they carry water up the hill from their well. Cooking is done on a camping stove. Not sure there is much to learn from for you - a little rustic for a university campus!

But we're curious about your efforts. Please send us info if you have any.

We've just had a foot of insulation blown into our attic following an energy audit. The government will pay for it all.

 
At 10:45 pm, Blogger little EGG said...

sounds like a fun party! and the gov't funded insulation sounds great too!!!!! We're off to see Doug and Sarah at the end of the week and then on to Italy.... we'll wave as we fly over you.
hugs,
miss you,
Ellen

 
At 1:25 am, Blogger gnat said...

ahhh, that's a whole other realm that what I was thinking about "off the grid" - but FABULOUS none the less! I honestly, honestly honestly, dream of just that one day (but need to figure out what job I'll be doing to make it happen).

as for my one-woman efforts? largely it's being annoying towards administration by saying things like "so long as we're renovating buildings and live in a state where it only rains one day a year, we might as well put solar panels on the new roof" - but I say it at campus-wide meetings. Then I tend to casually suggest that since we live in an oil town, perhaps someone, possibly even myself, might get money from the oil companies and have things like the "Chevron Sustainable Humanities" building etc. I have a bit of a following of people who are all for it, and reluctant administrator type people who are aggravated that my little voice (well, it's not that little) is generating a big stir.

Mwa ha ha ha ha!

I'll keep you posted on any REAL progress...

 
At 3:48 pm, Blogger Josh and Heather said...

Living in California, you may find this interesting:

http://tinyurl.com/2l428s

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Look in the fishbowl