Monday, May 01, 2006

Time's up

Unknown to us, Heather went into early labour on Saturday. Contractions were mild and every 30 minutes or so throughout the day. We still went for a barbecue with our new-and-also-expecting friends Emma and Jules. It was only after midnight early on Sunday that the contractions became regular and every 5 minutes. By 7 AM we were in the hospital and all signs indicated that we were now in established labour. At 12:30 we asked for an epidural (which only arrived at 2:30). Heather was amazingly strong and in total went through 2 minute contractions from 7AM until 3PM. After the epidural, the contractions continued but she smiled and chatted until it was time to push. After 20-30 minutes of red-faced exertion (for both Heather pushing and Josh cheering her on), it was over and our family was bigger by one.

3 Comments:

At 3:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh, I have one question: Did you catch the baby? I did. Okay, no, I have 2 questions: Did you play with the placenta? I'm not gross really. I didn't, but it's kind of cool, it jiggles like a bowl of jello and the cord is attached to it. I really didn't play with it, I just poked it once. I was afraid we had twins 'til the someone cussed at me and told me what it was. Oops. Maybe they shouldn't have let me into the delivery room. -Daniel

 
At 5:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading Heather your comment as she was trying to feed was a big mistake. Just shook the baby right off with laughter. Thanks. Josh.

 
At 12:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries. That's why their heads are soft. Dan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Look in the fishbowl