
Today as Heather was changing Jamie, our midwife-of-the-day, a jolly
Brummy woman named Teddy, came charging up to the baby room. Josh quickly pointed out Jamie's umbilical cord, asking when the little twisted stump was going to drop off. In one swift yank, Teddy removed the rotted cord, evoking a startled squawk of protest from both Josh and Jamie. She looked at the resulting two furrowed brows and deemed that Jamie looked just like her Daddy... She then proceeded for the next twenty minutes to weigh Jamie (8lbs 7oz, or 3.8 kilos): "flippin heck! She's been packing it on", poke fun at our concerns at her crying: "every baby cries - put her down and let her cry - being a new parent makes one go
yampy - no she's not cold, baby's arms always shake like that", tease us for not taking her out for a walk yet: "this is England- this IS nice weather - and she comes preshrunk and waterproof". We were left reassured and exhausted at the same time. Meanwhile we still wonder what to do every time she cries. Today we've been trying the 15 minute wait of agony... Tomorrow? We're learning. And we're tired. But she's still a cutie and she's packing on the flippin pounds.
4 Comments:
I know this isn't really funny, but Ben wondered if it was just a wannabe midwife...I can't believe she ripped the cord off!!!! With the crying (everyone will tell you their own thing), I still believe that every parent knows their own limit. I knew when I needed to pick her up and didn't want to listen to her cry anymore. And they say you can't spoil a newborn. Remember it WILL get easier because you'll get to know her cries and what she needs when. Hang in there - you guys are doing great!
Ouch! Well at least you didn't have to deal with a circumcism. I guess they don't do that all that much where you're staying. Maybe the midmanlikewife reduced Jamie's chances of being an "outie."daniel
To be honest, the cord was dangling by a bit of a thread by this point and was just twisting around and getting in the way...
My sides are aching with laughter:-) Love from Down Under xxoo
Post a Comment
<< Home